Sunday, April 15, 2007

Handout Assessment

Although it took a lot of time, I really enjoyed filling out the handouts from week one and assessing my different attributes.
On the personal work style, I found out that I am primarily directing. This was understandable but my first attribute to that specific question I marked as cautious. I did that because I have gone through a lot in regards to relationships in my life and I am very cautious about who and when to trust, and when to let my guard down. But, in the same token, it is addressing my personal work style and I do tend to be directing at work. So, all in all, I am in agreement with the assessment and learned a lot from it!
On my TAPT test I learned that I am Extroverted, Intuitive, a Thinker, and a Judger. This came really as no surprise to me because I could have told you this before even taking the test and my scores were never really close in each of the pairs, I tended to dominate either one side or the other. I do process a lot internally, but I tend to be extroverted in the way that I think about how I coexist in this world more so then just in my head. I have my head in the clouds and hope that everything will work out the way I want it to in the end, although I may not be looking at reality and that is why I see myself as intuitive. As I mentioned in the discussion for week one, I tend to approach situations as I am right and the other person is wrong and rarely see compromising as an option. I feel like this is a weakness and may be why I am a thinker because I see things as "black and white" or "right and wrong". I can see my judging qualities especially in my work ethic because I rarely leave anything unfinished and would rather finish a task instead of prolonging it to another day. I would say in some respects that I have procrastination problems, but I never start something and procrastinate on finishing it, I tend to procrastinate on the issue fully until the last minute. But when I start something, I always feel the need to finish it.
My NLP assessment revealed that I am kinesthetic by nature. I agree with this full-heartedly because I tend to make decisions based on what I feel, how I feel, and what emotional state I am in at the time. This category dominated over the visual and auditory aspects because I feel like it holds a special place in who I am as a person. Every one who knows me would be able to tell you the same.
On the barriers to communication, I found that there are numerous factors which act as deterrents from a fair and positive discussion. I thought up a lot of environmental barriers such as loudness, too much sun, and just the idea of being uncomfortable as a result of anything environmental. My verbal communication barriers with others is when they have an accent in which I cannot understand as well as when people use curse words frequently. These two factors tend to give me a different outlook on the person I am speaking with and result in frustration on my part. Interpersonal barriers made up the majority of the barriers that I deal with in regards to communication and included my personal beliefs, religion, politics, and morality. All of these factors are held dear to my heart and really dictate how I am going to feel on the subject. I think that this contributes to my "black and white" and "right and wrong" approach that I mentioned earlier. My assessment of my barriers really taught me that I need to be more open-minded when it comes to any communication I have with another.
My conflict management style was a Competing/Forcing Shark and my back-up style is an Accommodating Teddy Bear. This describes me in a nutshell, because I tend to put up a wall and act tough most of the time to protect myself, but in the end I think I end up being accommodating because I would rather just be happy then in conflict most of the time.

No comments: