Monday, April 30, 2007

Thought on Week Three

This last week's topic regarding race and gender and how it affects not only our negotiating skills but our opinion of other's negotiation skills has been baffling my mind. In a perfect world, the color of your skin and whether you are male or female should not have anything to do with conflict resolution, but it does. I think that our society as a whole has constructed these racial and gender roles and equality is promising, but I do not think that we can undo the years of destruction. I would like to think that our world can change because of the headway we have made within the past few decades, but even though it may seem on the surface things are getting better, there are constant reminders that the past affects us. I personally have experienced the glass ceiling at my prior job, and that is why I chose to move to a school district. Sorry, I needed to vent...=)

No comments: